Monday, August 13, 2007

Info about Surgery on Tuesday, August 14

Yes, yes, we know. You've been checking the blog all day for this information and we haven't updated it. We didn't get to the cardiac surgeon until late today, so we're posting it as quickly as we could after eating, saying good night to Liam, and driving back home. We appreciate your patience, as today has been a very, very long day for us.

Dr. Bischell will be doing coarctation arch repair surgery on Liam at 7 a.m. His plan is to go in on Liam's left side and try to avoid an open heart procedure, but he might have to convert to an open heart approach during the surgery. The surgery should last around 3-4 hours. Our plan is to update the blog from the hospital tomorrow as quickly as possible. Liam was moved from the NICU to PCCU this a.m., which threw off our day, because Lisa ended up meeting with a new team of doctors and familiarizing herself with the new surroundings the better part of the day while we waited for Dr. Bischell to meet with us. He was moved to PCCU so the staff could work with him there today since that is the team that will work with him after the heart surgery.

Lisa was released from the hospital today and is doing well, but very tired. It was difficult to drive away from the hospital without a baby in the back seat, so it was a day with sad and difficult moments despite all of the good news we've been receiving.

Please pray that God will guide the docs and nurses tomorrow and bless them with an extra dose of wisdom as they care for Liam! More when we know more...

In Christ,
Bill and Lisa

5 comments:

Kristen said...

I know (only too well) that tomorrow will be an extremely draining day, but I am hopeful that there will be no complications and that they will be able to do the left thoracotomy. Thinking of all of you. Katiebug from rubberducky

Anonymous said...

Bill and Lisa, I am a friend of Janice Gilbert's. She told me about you several months ago and I have been following your journey. I am a night shift nurse on 6C (cardiology) at VCH. Once Liam leaves the PCCU, he will be on our unit. I look forward to meeting you and Liam. If there is anything I can bring for you as I head this way from Lebanon, please do not hesitate to let me know. Connie Combs

Anonymous said...

Bill & Lisa, You don't know me but I babysit your niece Bethany. Carla has kept me updated and just recently gave me this address. We are praying for all of you!

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,

Just letting you know my heart is with you and Liam this morning.

Karen

Anonymous said...

Lisa and family, I just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of all of you and Baby Liam today.

Candace Brown