Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Wednesday afternoon update...

Just wanted to pop on and share the good news that Liam was taken off the ventilator about 2 hours ago. They did it while I was at my doc appt getting staples out, but called me while Bill and I were at lunch to say Liam wasn't doing as well as they had hoped. Though he did fine on the C-Pap trials before they extubated him, he decided to be lazy and not breathe as well by himself once they extubated him. So, they have put him on the C-Pap as a step-down from the vent. The good news, though, is that he doesn't have a tube down his throat, and he no longer has a tube down his nose, either. He is much happier now than he was this morning.

I think this morning has been the hardest morning for me, because they had to bring him off the sedation to ensure he was ready to be extubated. However, when they did that he became more aware that there was a tube down his throat, and he just seemed to be wiggling around a lot and not at all happy to wake up to being on the vent (who would, though?). I was REALLY glad when they took him off the vent, even if he does have to use the C-Pap to remind him to breathe now and then. By the way, they say it's not at all uncommon to have to wean cardiac babies from a vent to the C-Pap, so it's nothing to be concerned about.

There is a small chance that if he doesn't continue to improve, they'll have to put him back on the vent. Please pray this doesn't happen.

In Christ,
Lisa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisa and Bill,

I'm right here checking in and praying for Liam. It sounds like a long, hard day for you all. I know you'd like to bear Liam's part of this journey to spare him from it. Take courage today that there is great hope and one beautiful baby to focus on. And beautiful Sarah. You are a great mom. (Ditto, to Bill/Dad).I don't say that to just anyone!

Anonymous said...

Oh MY!!! What a sweet, sweet little boy!! Congratulations!! My prayers will continue to go up for sweet little Liam. Yall if there is ANYTHING I can do please don't hesitate to call? You know I can cook and could bring you something that would have to be better than hosptital food. The pictures are absolutely beautiful. Keep looking to the Master!!

Anonymous said...

The above anonymous is Lorie Watson. For some reason it cut off my name off the bottom.

Love you guys!!
Lorie