Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Surgery Day--update #2

Hi everybody! Liam continues to recover from his surgery, and he continues to be stable. We still haven't been able to extubate him, but they are weaning him from his ventilator, so the hope is that either they will extubate him overnight or they will do it first thing in the morning. The plan is that 4 hours after they take him off the ventilator, they will give him the first breast milk I pumped last week by bottle. His nurse tonight is the same nurse he had last night, and she said he had such a strong sucking reflex prior to surgery that they anticipate that there will be no problems transitioning him to the bottle and then eventually to the breast. This is music to my ears, as I'm already tired of pumping around the clock and would dearly love to be snuggling up to a hungry baby rather than a cold plastic pump, especially at 3 a.m.! ;)

Lisa will be with Liam at Vandy overnight since he hasn't been extubated, and we'll all breathe a huge sigh of relief when he is off the vent! I'll post again in the morning or early afternoon, as soon as time allows. I do have a doc appt tomorrow morning to get my surgery staples out, so that will give me a little less flexibility than I had today.

Continuing to ask for your unceasing prayers...
Bill and Lisa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sweet Liam and both you, Lisa, and Bill are in my thoughts and prayers constantly. Ever since Liam held my finger over the weekend, he has me twisted around his. What a beautiful, charming young man. My school staff, my home church, and many friends are also keeping close tabs on this handsome young man's progress. God bless all. Love you, Karen